Two local authors will visit the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie to talk about their books, both of which explore local non-fiction themes.
First, Elizabeth Williams, Founder and President of the Southern Food and Beverage Museum, will discuss her “Nana’s Creole Italian Table: Recipes and Stories from Sicilian New Orleans” at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, September 14.
“Nana’s Creole Italian Table” tells the story of Sicilian immigrants and their communities through the lens of food, exploring how traditional Sicilian dishes such as pasta and olive salad became part of―and were in turn modified by ― the existing food culture in New Orleans.
Then at 7 p.m. on September 21, Greg Fischer will talk about “The Mayor of Mardi Gras.”
Fischer’s book is about his cousin, McKinley “Mackie” J. Cantrell III, one of the first full-time artists and builders who worked to bring Mardi Gras to life. A third-generation float builder, Mackie’s grandfather began building floats during the Great Depression.
In the mid-1970s, “Big Mac” Cantrell had his own company, called McKinley J. Cantrell and Son, and captained his own parade, the Krewe of Mardi Gras. Cantrell Floats is still alive today, but Mackie died suddenly two days after Christmas in 2021. He was 47.
Fischer is a former editor of the Weekly Citizen in Gonzales, the Chief in Donaldsonville and the Post-South in Plaquemine. He is a contributor to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
DIABETES DISCUSSION: During this presentation, a Jencare physician will discuss various aspects of diabetes care and answer individual questions at noon Thursday, September 22 at the East Shore Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie.
DIGITAL SERVICES: The Jefferson Parish Library will host a digital exhibit from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on September 14 at the North Kenner Library, 630 W. Esplanade Ave., Kenner. Users can learn more about the digital resources offered by the library and obtain technical advice on their use.
And on September 19 in Marrero, “Library 101: Digital Books and Magazines” will provide patrons with ways to discover the digital materials offered by the library and how to find and use them. It’s happening from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Belle Terre Library, 5550 Belle Terre Road, Marrero.
POSTPONED GENEALOGY: Genealogy classes taught by librarian Gwen Kelley have been postponed, but will return. See this column for details.
READING CLUB :
- “Brideshead Revisited” by Evelyn Waugh – 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, September 21 at Gretna’s Library, 102 Willow Drive, Gretna.
- “Girls in the Stilt House” by Kelly Mustian — 2-4 p.m. Tuesday, September 20 at the Old Metairie Library, 2350 Metairie Road.
- “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owen — 2:30-4 p.m. Tuesday, September 20 at the River Ridge Library, 8825 Jefferson Highway.
- Any Book Club—6-7 p.m. Sept. 21, West Bank Regional Library, 2751 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey. Read any historical fiction book, bring it to the event, and be prepared to discuss the genre.
THE POETS ARE BACK: Two local poetry societies that went on hiatus during the Covid pandemic have reformed and will begin meeting at the River Ridge Library, 8825 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge.
Jefferson’s Haiku Workshop meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Monday evening of each month. The first meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, September 12. Poets will read their new haiku creations and discuss the art of haiku.
River Ridge Poets will meet from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The first meeting will be at 2 p.m. on Saturday, September 17. Poets will read and discuss poetry.
IRIS COMPANY: Tammany Baumgarten, president and founder of the Native Plant Initiative of Greater New Orleans, will speak at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 17 at the East Shore Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie.
Her presentation is part of the regular meeting of the Greater New Orleans Iris Society, which is held at the library.
Baumgarten gardens and manages 40 acres in Tylertown, Mississippi, and studies plants in their wild habitat to understand needs and application in urban settings. Its goal is to incorporate native plants into landscapes as often as possible.
APPOINTMENT AT THE GARDEN: Tammany Baumgarten will discuss “Planting for Fall Interest” at 10 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 21, at the East Bank Regional Library, 4747 West Napoleon Ave., Metairie.
The presentation is part of the general meeting of Friends of the Jefferson Public Library. Baumgarten owns and operates BaumGardens Landscape & Design.
Also at the meeting, volunteers can sign up to help with the next big book sale, to be held October 7-9 at the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner.
Book sale hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Oct. 7-8, and noon to 5 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 9. For more information on any of these events, call Friends of the Jefferson Public Library at (504) 455-2665 or email [email protected]
COMPUTER LESSONS : Receive free computer training at East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie, and Jane O’Brien Chatelain West Bank Regional Library, 2751 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey.
Places are limited and online registration is mandatory. Visit the Computer Classes page at www.jplibrary.net/training and click on “East Bank Regional Schedule” or “West Bank Regional Schedule”.
Upcoming Farmhouse courses include:
- Computer Skills for Beginners – 10 a.m. to noon September 14.
- Individual slots in basic computer skills – 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. on September 14.
- Introduction to PowerPoint 1 — 2 to 4:15 p.m. Sept.
- Basic Computer Skills Individual Slots – 2-2:30 p.m. and 2:30-3 p.m. Friday, September 16.
- Getting Started with NorthStar — 10 a.m. to noon September 17.
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2 — 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. September 19.
- JPL Digital Content Exploration – 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. September 22.
- NorthStar Proctoring One-on-Ones – 2-2:30 p.m. and 2:30-3 p.m. Sept. 22.
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel 3 — 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. September 26.
- 3D Printing — 3-5 p.m. September 26.
- Basic Computer Skills Individual Slots – 2-2:30 p.m. and 2:30-3 p.m. September 28.
- Introduction to PowerPoint 2 — 10 a.m. to noon September 29.
- NorthStar Proctoring One-on-Ones – 2-2:30 p.m. and 2:30-3 p.m. Sept. 29.
Upcoming Harvey courses include:
- Introduction to PowerPoint 2 — 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 16
- NorthStar Essential Computer Skills – 10 a.m. to noon September 20.
- NorthStar Essential Computer Skills – 10 a.m. to noon September 23.
- NorthStar Essential Computer Skills — 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. September 23.
- Computer Skills for Beginners – 10 a.m. to noon September 30.
Chris Smith is head of adult programming at the Jefferson Parish Public Library.